Friday 14 October 2011

The choice

It is hard to choose what to fix first. But roof and windows can wait, because if we will lose foundation, we lose whole house. Short research about who can help to fix foundation gave funny result, closer guy who may be will interesting to fix foundation is 200 km away and price will be probably from 15000 CAD and up. Little bit too much.


One guy (he told that he is a construction engineer with a lot of years of experience) said  - I must take oil paint and mix it with cement , and paint all my foundation over. This will give me other 2-3 years.
I was shocked. Now I look scare when come into big buildings. If some Canadian engineers have ideas like this, we lucky no one building fell down yet.


I decided to do all by myself. Examined foundation all around and found it built in 2 lines stones. Mean, if I will wash out old concrete in small section just from outside, house won’t fall down and I can fill this space with new mortar mix. And do section by section all house around. Biggest thing that you must wet all stones inside for nice sticky to mortar.


We had one part of wall already on the ground.


We took all that by part, keeping old bricks and clean up them from old mortar. Little dig down to check a part of foundation underground and start to build this wall back.


Some days I had help from my family.

Because I had not much tools for doing that project. And did all mortar mix by hands. Hard work.

3 comments:

  1. Wow this is really interesting. Great Blog idea :)

    -The Anonymous Teenage Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, will keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased to read your every new post. To restore an old abandoned house- not an easy task. And many simply do not know where to start. I hope your decision will help them, and your humor in the text will give them strength))

    ReplyDelete